This Christmas, instead of buying a plastic tree, or a cut tree. Purchase a Live, Potted Christmas Tree instead.
Here are 10 Great reasons;
1) Although Plastic Christmas Trees are often reused for about 5-8 years. Plastic Christmas Trees use up valuable resources during manufacturing and shipping. Plastic Trees are also NOT Recyclable; despite being made of petroleum products, because they are also made of wire and lead based paints.
In the end, these Plastic Trees end up in the landfill, where they leach lead, mercury and other harmful toxins that pollute the soil as well as our oceans, lakes and rivers.
In some countries, many of these Plastic Trees get incinerated with other garbage, contributes to air pollution, and ends up causing respiratory infections, asthma, and lung disease. These toxins also go through the food chain and end up in other animals, our food, drinking water then come back to poison us through consumption and Bio-accumulation.
So for the health reasons alone; buying a real, potted Christmas Tree is a deeply rooted, sustainable choice.
2) Real, Cut Christmas Trees are better than Plastic because they're natural, but they don't last.
Many would argue that real, cut trees, are a renewable resource because they're grown on tree farms, are replanted each year, and increase air quality while they are growing.
This is true! But, we must factor in that Over 200 Million Cut Christmas Trees are purchased around the World each year.
Out of the 200 Million Cut Tree's that are purchased every year, 150 Million of them end up in the garbage and go to Landfills.
Approximately 15 Million of the 200 Million dead Christmas trees are incinerated with other trash or used as firewood for heating, and only 15 Million are chipped and used as mulch.
The remaining 20 Million Cut Trees are dumped illegally in parks, ditches and alleys and other places, where they can contribute to senseless forest fires and residential fires.
This means that, if you decide to buy a live potted Christmas tree, you and your family will help reduce the amount resources used, increase air quality, help reduce accidental fires and the amount of trash in the landfill.
3) If you buy a Small Potted Tree, you can reuse the Tree for another 1-2 years, then replant the Tree in a larger pot for several more years use.
4) Live, potted trees are natural air fresheners and smell like Christmas. If kept inside after the holidays, the tree will continue to increase your homes air quality, and if planted outside, will help decrease air pollution.
5) Rooted Christmas Trees require less resources to produce, and if bought locally, they will also significantly decrease transportation costs.
6) Larger potted trees can then be replanted in your yard, or with permission replanted in a park, farmers field or city property. Just be sure to anticipate the full-grown size of the tree, and avoid planting near foundations or underground water, gas and sewage pipes.
7) After the Christmas festivities, you can make it a fun, family activity by planting the tree together, thus, giving back to nature, so the tree can continue to grow for future generations.
8) By replanting the tree, you will create long lasting memories that will help your children build a foundation of acting responsibly and feeling good about giving back to nature and preserving life.
9) Replanting Rooted Christmas trees, like all trees, will help re-mediate the soil, help guard against erosion, and filter polluted water.
10) For those living in small apartments, or people that would like a Christmas Tree for their business and don't have ability to store, or replant a live tree. You can participate by Renting a Live, potted Christmas Tree instead.
So this Christmas, before you Buy a Christmas Tree for your business, household or family, consider these 10 Reasons! The benefits of purchasing a Live, Potted Christmas Tree are numerous.
Here are a few places where you can Buy Rooted Christmas Trees.
In the UK http://www.pinesandneedles.com/buy/christmas-trees-with-roots/
In the USA http://www.livingchristmastrees.org/
In Canada http://wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/cambie/
Here are a few places where you can Rent Rooted Christmas Trees.
In Canada http://evergrowchristmastrees.ca/
In Australia http://www.ecochristmastrees.com.au/