10) Waste to Energy Power Plants – By, Dynamis Technology : Incinerating garbage to create energy isn’t a very environmentally friendly process and toxins in garbage dumps leach dangerous chemicals into our water supply. This inspired Roger Kolb and Don Kerr to invent the Dynamis technology power plant. This ingenious technology can help eliminate the world’s garbage from landfills and garbage dumps by converting waste into energy. Currently 86 of these power plants are in operation and all together process 97,000 tons of garbage per day, to produce enough power for 388,000 homes. Air-test results concluded that the levels of carbon monoxide, mercury and dioxins produced by these waste-to-energy plants are well below American, European and Canadian standards. If these finding are true, Dynamis's waste-to-energy technology will safely eliminate garbage and provide us with usable energy at the same time.
9) Plastic-to-Oil Converting Machine - By, Blest Corporation : What if we could reconstitute plastic back into oil? Well, Japanese born Akinori Ito, CEO of Blest Corporation says it can! I admit, I was hesitant to believe such a thing, but it appears that Blest’s Plastic-to-Oil Converting machine is the real deal. This invention could help clean up our oceans and garbage dumps of plastics and safely re-use the plastic to fuel your car. Akinori Ito says his machine can convert 1kg of plastic into 1 liter of oil. After seeing the video explaining this process I am convinced that converting plastic back to oil is a great alternative to conventional recycling methods… Perhaps we can end garbage sooner than we thought?
8) Sail E-Way- By, Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA)
7) Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion (OTEC) – By, Xenesys Inc. : Xenesys’ Ocean Thermal Energy Converter is capable of supplying electricity 365 days a year and can be effectively utilized in over 90 countries worldwide. The power generation capacity is estimated at 1 Trillion kW's of clean, renewable energy per year at a rate of $1.00 per kWh. This still needs to be built, but once it is, the OTEC power plant will be a good addition to our renewable energy future.
6) Solar Lens Tower Power plants – by, International Automated Systems (IAUS) : These Solar Towers use a thin-film lens to focus the sun's energy to produce super-heated steam for power generation. The panels are inexpensive, efficient, require very little maintenance and operate on heat. This energy can be stored then used to create steam when there is no sun to produce even more energy. This unique process costs significantly less than batteries and offers an effective solution to provide solar power 24 hours a day 7 days a week. IAUS's thin-film solar lens can be produced at a fraction of the cost of traditional photovoltaic solar panels. This makes IAUS the 1st solar power technology with the ability to compete head-on with gas, coal and it's available to use, right now.
5) Ecosphere Ozonix - By, Ecosphere Technologies Inc. : Ecosphere Ozonix technology is an advanced oxidation process that kills bacteria, eliminates chemicals and treats contaminated water without the use of harmful chemicals. It combines ozone, hydrodynamic cavitation, acoustic cavitation and electro-chemical decomposition to safely recycle municipal, petroleum, agricultural and mining industrial waste-waters and turn it back into clean water. Ecosphere has proven they have the ability to clean waste water, but we must never allow corporations to use it as an excuse to continue irresponsible business practices. Despite what other companies do, Ecosphere's invention will help mitigate the effects of municipal water contamination and with its patented process of recycling water will also help clean up the environmental damage from the mining, oil and petroleum industries, restoring polluted water back to safe levels.
4) Solar Roads – By, Scott and Julie Brusaw, Solar Roadways : This Invention has great potential and is currently in the development stages. Once the technology is perfected and the cost to produce these panels is lowered, these solar roads could effectively replace many outdoor asphalt and concrete surfaces. Their goal is to transform outdoor drivable surfaces such as roads, highways and driveways into energy producing solar panels that can be driven upon. In the future these solar roadways could produce a vast amount of electricity and provide entire cities with enough energy that would replace coal burning and nuclear power plants.
3) Air Car – By, Guy Negre- Inventor and CEO of MDI : The original Air-Car was invented back in 1932, but back then it couldn’t compete with gas powered vehicles, so it was shelved and never produced. Now! Over 70 years later, Inventor Guy Negre, CEO of MDI has vastly improved this technology to a point where the Air Car can now do more than simply compete. It has the potential to replace the combustion engine altogether. Mr. Negre has also made a licensing deal with Tata Motors in India to produce and sell the car for around $10,000 per car. The Air-Car is powered by a compressed-air motor and can maintain speeds of 35 miles per hour, for over 200 miles on one tank of compressed air. Not impressed yet! It also has the ability to reach speeds of 90 miles per hour by using small amounts of gas to heat and compress more air and increase its range to 1000 miles per tank. This makes MDI’s Air-Car a viable alternative mode of transportation that is less expensive and great for the environment.
2) Wireless Power Transfer Device – By, WiTricity : WiTricity has successfully modified Nicola Tesla’s wireless energy patent to create its own wireless energy transfer technology. WiTricities wireless energy transfer system can transfer power safely, efficiently and without wires to power or recharge any and all your electrically powered devices. This invention has huge potential and could help revolutionize the way energy is transferred from place to place, imagine a world without wires, that was Nicola Tesla’s dream. Now! Thanks to WiTricity, this dream could happen within our lifetime and provide the world with safe wireless electricity.
1) Vertical Farming – By, Architect Ken Yeang and Dr. Dickson Despommier : Unlike traditional farming, farming inside earthquake and storm proofed skyscrapers can produce crops year-round and dramatically increase the amount of food grown per year worldwide on a massive scale. It can do this because vertical farming provides a controlled environment that can be built as self supporting structures, independent of weather and protected from most extreme weather events. Currently, many parts of the world are facing flooding, drought or other man-made or natural disasters. This has caused a significant decrease in the production of grain, causing a significant increase in the cost of the food and an increase of starvation. This makes vertical, local, organically grown farming not only a necessity, but a social, moral and ethical responsibility. Vertical farming is the best way to help provide people worldwide with healthy, nutritious food and help put an end to malnutrition and starvation. Life is precious and has a value that can’t be measured, we need to protect it the best we can. I’m confident that with human ingenuity, proper management and combining traditional and organic farming practices, vertical farming can help feed the world. This is why I chose Vertical Farming as my #1 Green Invention!